Democratic Caucus Chair
Responsible for helping drive the legislative priority for members of the Democratic Caucus.
Primary jurisdictions include alcohol, Indian gaming, horseracing, gambling, tobacco, public records, open meetings laws, state holidays, outdoor advertising and emergency services/natural disasters (this can be shared with the Housing and Community Development Committee and Local Government Committee).
Primary jurisdictions are insurance (excluding health insurance), workers compensation, and unemployment compensation.
- "Sunrise," the creation of new regulatory entities within the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
- "Sunset," the oversight and elimination of regulatory entities within the DCA
- Health care professional licensing
- Veterinarian licensing
- Occupational licensing
- Vocational education
- The Department of General Services (building standards)
- Product labeling (except agricultural and medical product labeling)
Committee Jurisdiction includes California High-Speed Rail Authority, California Highway Patrol, California Transportation Commission, Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Transportation (Caltrans), driver’s licenses, freight, regional transportation agencies, transit authorities, intercity rail, mobile sources of air pollution, fuels, rules of the road, state highways, local streets and roads, vehicles, aircraft, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and vessels.
Includes child welfare services, foster care, child care, adoption assistance, CalWORKs, CalFresh, developmental disability services, In-home Supportive Services (IHSS), community care licensing, adult protective services, and SSI/SSP.