SACRAMENTO, Calif --- After a successful concurrent vote this week, Assembly Bill 901 by Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) has passed in the Legislature and now makes its way onto Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk for his consideration.
AD64 Budget Wins 2021
Asm. Gipson Brings Home $2.238 billion for AD 64
- $3 million for Carriage Crest Park in the City of Carson for improvements on existing facilities and renovations of the recreational building.
- $10 million for Center Avenue in the City of Compton to help improve stormwater management, increase recreational opportunities, and expand green space along Compton Creek.
- $10 million for Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital to support critical treatment services focused on the aftermath of COVID-19, an increase in behavioral health counselors, and overall workforce development.
- $15 million for the Student Success Coach Grant Program to support AmeriCorps partners, like City Year LA, in addressing the social-emotional and academic needs of low-income students. (AB 235 - Student Success Coaches)
- $50 million for Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science for infrastructure development.
- $300 million commitment by the Governor to dedicate ongoing funding for public health, including Health Equity, beginning in 2022-2023. (AB 1038 - Health Equity Fund)
- $350 million for the Teacher Residency Grant Program to recruit and retain new teachers, and to increase diversity in the workforce. (AB 520 - Diversifying the Teacher Workforce)
- $1.5 billion for the new Educator Effectiveness Block Grant Program to support teacher and staff professional development, offering structured feedback and coaching systems around social-emotional learning, promoting teacher social awareness, and to create diverse learning environments. (AB 520 - Diversifying the Teacher Workforce)
CARSON, Calif --- Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson, chair of the California Assembly Democratic Caucus, offers condolences and prayers to the family of U.S. Representative John R. Lewis.
“Congressman John R, Lewis was a giant whose life was spent in the pursuit of racial justice. This sharecropper’s son valiantly marched and strived for equality and civil rights for all.
SACRAMENTO, Calif --- Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) released the following statement on the California’s June Revision State Budget:
SACRAMENTO, Calif --- Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) released the following statement on the Supreme Court ruling on DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals):
An excerpt from SPECTRUM 1 NEWS
by Daniela Prado
The carotid restraint technique involves putting pressure on the side of the neck to restrict the flow of blood.
A Los Angeles legislator, who is also a former police officer, is calling for a statewide ban. Assembly member Mike Gipson, D-Carson, introduced AB 1196, which would make it illegal for officers to use the carotid hold to detain a suspect.
“This measure is a response to the murder of brother George Floyd,” Gipson said at a press conference.
SACRAMENTO, CA --- In response to the death of George Floyd, Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) has introduced AB 1196, making it illegal to use a carotid artery restraint tactic to forcibly detain a suspect. The bill is co-authored by members of the CA Black Caucus, Latino Caucus, API, and LGBTQ Caucus.
SACRAMENTO, Calif --- Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) released the following statement on the recent murder of George Floyd:
SACRAMENTO, Calif --- Today, the Assembly Public Safety Committee approved AB 2655, authored by Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson, to make it a misdemeanor for first responders to take unauthorized pictures during an accident or crime scene.
CARSON, Calif --- Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) released the following statement on the passing of journalist and activist Larry Aubry:
“As a young man working for then Los Angeles City Councilman Robert Farrell, I met this extraordinary individual, a tireless fighter for the disenfranchised in our community.